Sunflower oil: benefits, types and uses
Sunflower oil is the most popular type of vegetable oil in our country due to its availability and beneficial properties. Today it is difficult to imagine the kitchen of a modern person, where there is no oil bottle or even several at once. We use it to fry pancakes and meat, add to salads, use in baking. And when canning vegetables, sunflower oil is simply irreplaceable.
But how to understand which oil to use in a given situation and choose a really high-quality oil at an affordable price? Let’s figure it out together.
The first rule for any kitchen – always needs to have two types of sunflower oil on hand: unrefined and refined. Their main difference is the degree of purification.
It is considered more useful, as it is produced by mechanical extraction followed by simple filtration. This allows to preserve vitamins, minerals, smell and taste of seeds. Therefore, it is perfect for dressing salads, giving them a special taste and aroma.
But you can’t fry in such oil! As soon as you pour the unrefined oil into a preheated frying-pan, it will begin to burn and smoke. At the same time, it is oxidized and carcinogens are released – dangerous substances. The prepared dish will not only taste bad, but also hazardous to health.
It is better to buy unrefined oil from trusted manufacturers. This will ensure that it has gone through the required cleaning steps and is ready for use. Hand-bought homemade oil can be hazardous to health. The seeds from which it is produced are not tested for the content of pesticides, heavy metals and benzopyrenes, and it does not undergo additional cleaning steps.
It is made from unrefined oil through a full cleaning cycle. At the same time, it retains a small amount of vitamins A, E and K. Refined oil does not emit carcinogens and behaves perfectly in the oven and in a pan – it does not smoke and does not foam when frying. This oil has a neutral taste and smell. And this is one of its main advantages – it does not violate the flavor bouquet of the ingredients in the dish.
Several rules for a successful purchase of sunflower oil
1. When choosing sunflower oil, pay attention to where it is stored. The darker the display case with the oil, the better. Under the influence of any light, the composition of the oil quickly deteriorates, and it loses its beneficial properties. Feel free to peer into the depths of the shelf: this will give you a better chance of buying a good product.
2. Pay attention to the purity of the product. Cloudy oil is a sign of spoilage. At the same time, do not be afraid of a small sediment in unrefined oil – these are phospholipids useful for the body.
3. Appreciate the color of the product. Good light color refined oil. It is believed that the lighter the refined oil, the better it is refined. Unrefined sunflower oil has a darker color, and in this case it becomes difficult to determine the quality of the product “by eye”.
4. Look carefully at the sell-by date. The closer the oil is to the sell-by date, the higher its peroxide value, which affects the oxidizability of the product. Oil with a high peroxide value quickly loses its freshness and becomes rancid.
5. Try to buy oil in large stores where storage conditions are respected. A high temperature in a warehouse or prolonged exposure to light, including under artificial lighting, reduces the shelf life of oils in relation to the period declared by the manufacturer.
How to store oil at home?
All oils love dark, dry and cool, but not cold places. Subcooling will not contribute to the preservation of the beneficial substances contained in the oil. The optimum storage temperature for sunflower oil is from +5 to +20 °С.
The best solution for storing oils is a closed cupboard, preferably a lower one (because the lower it is, the cooler) and not too close to the stove. It is not recommended to store spices and herbs next to the oil, as it tends to absorb odors.
Unrefined oil has a shelf life of only a few months, and an opened bottle is best consumed within 4-5 weeks. Refined oil can be stored for up to 18 months.
The main advantage of Olkom sunflower oils is compliance with international quality standards – this is a guarantee of a high-quality and safe product. They are specially formulated to be part of a healthy balanced diet. Thanks to the gentle multi-stage cleaning technology on the Swedish equipment Alfa Laval preserves the maximum amount of vitamins and microelements of sunflower seeds, and does not lose their properties under the influence of high temperatures.
Oil Style Sunflower Oil brand “P” is the leader in its category! Suitable for both direct consumption and preservation, frying and baking, does not change the taste and aroma of dishes.
Salad Style Sunflower Oil is a mix of unrefined and refined sunflower oils. Due to its high content of vitamin E, linoleic acid (Omega-6) and oleic acid (Omega-9), it is the safest, most affordable and effective source of natural antioxidants in the diet. It can rightfully be considered the basis of a healthy diet, and the fragrant aroma of “homemade” oil and its pleasant taste make it an ideal dressing for salads. Cannot be used for frying.
Pro Style Cooking Oil – specially formulated for frying or deep-frying at home. Thanks to its formulation, it does not foam and oxidizes much less with repeated use.
Newrich C2 Cooking Oil is a mixture of high oleic and classic sunflower oils. Designed specifically for professionals working in the HoReCa segment. Provides up to 42 hours of deep frying without oil change. The smoke point is 230 °C.
Newrich C4 High Oleic Culinary Oil – 100 % high oleic sunflower oil. A unique product for the professional kitchen that allows you to increase the number of frying cycles several times without changing the oil (up to 72 hours of frying). The smoke point is 240 °C.
- I would like to
- Provide positive feedback
- To file a complaint
- Ask a question
- Make a suggestion